10 Reasons to Visit Wausau This Summer
We’re finally coming up on our first official summer in Wausau, and we can hardly wait to start exploring this incredible gem of a town with our guests. To put it in it’s simplest terms, the town is incredible. Wausau has a classic Northwoods Wisconsin feel to it; vast forested lands, plentiful lakes and hills, and fortunately for us, a friendly community with big-city amenities. It is the dream destination for avid outdoor enthusiasts, and offers guests an incredible range of activities throughout all 4 seasons of the year. Book your room at the Stewart Inn today, and get in on the action in Wausau this summer!
10 Summer Activities in Wausau
The beautiful town of Wausau is set on the banks of the Wisconsin River. From hiking and biking, to boating, canoeing, and kayaking, there are endless ways to spend your time here. Here are 10 great ideas to get you up and outside during your summer vacation in Wausau:
- The heavily wooded forests surrounding Wausau, or the marshes along the Wisconsin River make for ideal bird watching habitat. Prime bird watching areas include the Bern Wetland, Big Rapids Park, Bitzke Waterfowl Refuge, Bluegill Bay Park, George Mead Wildlife Refuge, and D.C. Everest Park, where you can see a large Great Blue Heron rookery on an island, and further an Osprey nesting platform.
- There are enough miles of biking trails to keep you busy throughout the entire summer, all of which offer beautiful scenery and plenty of challenge. The best mountain biking is found at the area’s biggest recreation areas: Nine Mile County Forest Recreation Area and Big Eau Pleine County Park. The Mountain-Bay State Trail connects Wausau to Green Bay along a stunning stretch of Northern Wisconsin. If you’re not into mountain biking, there are also over 100 miles of designated bike routes throughout downtown Wausau, including a 26-mile loop that encircles the city.
- Like biking, you can spend your entire summer hiking in the wooded hills of Wausau. Popular areas include Rib Mountain State Park, the Dells of Eau Claire County Park, Barker Stewart Island & Big Bull Falls Park, the Ice Age National Recreation Trail, and the Wisconsin Riverwoods Trail.
- Go old fashioned, and enjoy a ski show with the Water Walkers Water Ski Team. These free shows are held at 6pm every Sunday throughout the summer, from June 1 – August 24.
- Wausau is a premiere destination for canoeing and kayaking. From short trips to full day adventures, the waters around Wausau offer it all. Downtown is also home to a world class canoe and kayak competition site at Whitewater Park. It’s one of only two urban whitewater race courses in the country. Even if you only come to watch, it’s a spectacular way to spend an afternoon.
- Rib Mountain State Park, home to popular winter attraction Granite Peak Ski Area, is one of the oldest rock formations currently found on earth. The park houses 1,500 acres, with a well-maintained network of general use trails. You’ll enjoy plenty of rocky outcroppings to climb, as well as incredible views of the Wisconsin River Valley.
- Find the best local produce and foods at our local Farmers Markets. There are several to choose from, but our favorites are the Wausau Farmers Market and the Market Place Thursdays in the 400 block of Downtown Wausau.
- Go berry picking at local farms! There’s nothing that tastes better than fresh berries picked from a farm–or maybe fresh jam made from those berries. The best places for berry picking are: Lakeview Berry Farm, Mike’s Berries, Stroik’s Lake Du Bay Berry Farm, and Black Creek Strawberry Farm.
- Enjoy an evening of live music in the downtown 400-block. The Concerts on the Square run from June 21 – August 23rd, 2017.
- When it’s really hot out, you may as well head to one of Wausau’s outdoor water parks or pools. The Rothschild-Schofield Aquatic Center and the Weston Aquatic Center both pack in plenty of cooling fun in the sun.
Now that you have a better idea of how to spend your summer vacation in Wausau, we hope you book you room at the Stewart Inn, Wausau’s finest Boutique Hotel.