There are already some fantastic mountain biking trails in and near Wausau, WI, but eventually, Marathon County is working on becoming an International Mountain Biking Ride Center, which would make Wausau even more of a destination for bikers from all over the country. Thankfully, the trails already in place are well-maintained, exciting tracks, and diverse for all skill levels, whether you’re just starting or you’re a pro.
You’ll find the most popular mountain biking trails at the Nine Mile County Forest Recreation Center. Only about 15-minutes from downtown Wasau, there are more than 13.5 miles of singletrack trails and 20 miles of wide trails ranging from beginner to expert. While most of these mountain biking trails close during the winter months (some are open for cross country skiing), the season generally begins at the start of May and runs through October.
Our luxury boutique hotel is centrally located in downtown Wausau, making it the ideal place for lodging for mountain biking adventures. We offer traditional bed and breakfast-style accommodations in our meticulously maintained and beautifully restored 1906 Prairie-style mansion designed by George Maher, one of America’s Arts and Crafts movement founders. The historic mansion is the perfect place to retreat for relaxation, especially after a day exploring the Wausau mountain biking trails.
Check out these Mountain Biking Trails near Wausau WI
Be sure to join us for a full breakfast spread to fuel up before hitting the mountain biking trails nearby. You’ll find sweet and savory options at our multi-coursed morning feast paired with our always hot and fresh proprietary blend of coffee—the absolute best way to start the day!
Here are the four most popular areas for mountain biking trails near our Wisconsin Bed and Breakfast:
Nine Mile County Forest Recreation Center:
- With more than 20 miles of wide mountain biking trails and 13.5 singletrack routes, this is one of the most popular areas for biking near Wausau.
- Trail passes are required for all riders and can be purchased at the parking lot kiosks.
- This area hosts major bike races each year, including Wausau 24 and the Wausau Classic.
Sylvan Hill Park:
- Less than 10-minutes from our boutique hotel, this biking area has a 3-mile loop trail that encircles the park with four downhill offshoot options of differing difficulty. There’s also a pump track and skills area for practicing.
- Some of the trails here have difficult sections to traverse, including some advanced riding and jumping skills.
- This is also a popular park for hiking in the warmer months and one of the best places for cross country skiing and snow tubing in the wintertime.
Big Eau Pleine Park:
- You’ll find more than 10 miles of shared-use hiking, horseback riding, and mountain biking trails that weave through hardwood forests at this nearby recreation area.
- Unlike some of the other mountain biking trail areas, this park also welcomes riders in the snowy season. The ten miles of groomed trails are designated for bikes with a tire width of 3.7 inches or greater from December to mid-March.
- This park area is home to a large lake, a popular fishing hole, and a water recreation hot spot in the summer.
- The Ringle Trail System is about 20 minutes from our Wausau Bed and Breakfast and about 11 miles of fantastic mountain biking trails. The trail network is comprised of smaller loops that can be combined into one larger route.
- All of the trails are machine constructed with all skill levels in mind, all of the jumps, gaps, and drop features are optional with alternate paths for those still picking up the sport.
- These trails are also groomed in the winter for fat tire biking and other winter recreation.
If you require bike rentals, Rib Mountain Cycles offers all types of gear and can get you set up for your time here.
Beautiful Lodging at our Wausau Bed and Breakfast
Each of our five luxurious guest suites has all the comforts of home but so much more. To name a handful of our luxury amenities, you’ll find fantastic steam showers in each private bathroom. Guest suites have Samsung Galaxy 4 Tablets, Apple TV, and a Sonos five stereo system, and we offer a deluxe pillow menu with 15 varieties for your comfort. Join us each morning for a complimentary multi-course gourmet breakfast, as well as a nightly reception for wine and snacks.
As a guest at our luxury hotel, you couldn’t ask for a better location! Tucked within the beautiful Andrew Warren Historic District, we’re within six blocks of everything in downtown Wausau. You’ll be within walking distance to charming shops, fantastic restaurants, the well-known Yawkey Museum, and the Marathon County Historical Museum. Start planning your next getaway in Wisconsin and book today!