After a long year, finally Spring has sprung again. It feels like the right time to plan a weekend getaway in the midwest, and Wausau, WI is the perfect location to do just that. We could all use a little time away from home (and the home office for most of us over the past year) and take some time to relax, rejuvenate and explore a new place. Here, we’d like to detail why Wausau is a great place for a weekend getaway in the midwest.
Wausau has everything that you need for a quick weekend getaway in the midwest. If you have the means to prolong your stay into the workweek, we also have amazing accommodations for those traveling for business or a work-from-homer who needs a change of scenery. We make it so easy for you to work from here with our complimentary meeting room and flexible check-in/out times. Though everyone deserves a getaway in the midwest to reset!
When you stay at our Wausau boutique hotel you’ll feel a world away from your everyday grind. That starts in our luxury guest suites—each outfitted with a steam shower and ultra comfortable beds. Most have a fireplace for a perfect, private evening in your room. Thankfully, our location to downtown Wausau gives you incredible options for dining, shopping and outdoor activities all nearby. Book your room at our Wausau hotel today!
Wausau is the Perfect Weekend Getaway in the Midwest
Our little city of Wausau in central Wisconsin has been going through a transformation over the past decade. The River District in downtown is thriving with new restaurants, local shops and the ever popular Wausau Museum of Contemporary Art. When you stay with us at our Wausau hotel, we can send you in the right direction for the best activities.
For those who love to experience the outdoors, you’ll see that in Wausau as well. The beautiful Wisconsin River runs right through the middle of the city, giving locals and visitors lots of opportunities to spend a lovely afternoon on the water. We’re also only 20 minutes from Rib Mountain State Park with many options for outdoor recreation.
Here are 8 ways to plan the best weekend getaway in the midwest in Wausau, WI:
- Rib Mountain State Park is a quick drive from our Wausau hotel and it’s an ideal location for hiking in the picturesque wilderness of the midwest. There are nine marked trails that span 13 miles of the park, many of them take you by unique rock formations, old quarry areas and diverse blocks of tree species. The trails vary in difficulty, but many are accessible to all levels of ability.
- Mountain biking along the Nine Mile County Forest Recreation area is 20 miles of ski trails and is a must for cycling enthusiasts. The route is voted one of the top five mountain biking trails in the state of Wisconsin. The area is less than 20 minutes from our Wausau Hotel and it opens in early May.
- On your weekend getaway in the midwest, you’ll want to add the Oak and Fern Island Parks to your itinerary. The area is a birdwatching hot spot and it’s easily walkable from our front doorstep. It’s a lovely spot for a picnic surrounded by the waters of the Wisconsin River and the many bird species that call the area home.
- Birding hobbyists also won’t want to miss perusing the Leigh Yawkey Woodson Art Museum. Its permanent collection has many bird related works of art. If you’d like to continue on the arts circuit, hit the Wausau Museum of Contemporary Art for modern paintings, prints and photos from past to present.
- When you stay at the Stewart Inn for your weekend getaway in the midwest, you’ll be within walking distance to all that downtown Wausau has to offer. That includes an amazing and diverse line up of about 20 restaurants and bars, many local and unique shopping options and tons of historic architecture.
- Beer is a big one in Wausau, and we have a great selection of fun breweries for drinking some excellent brews. Pop just down the street to Red Eye Brewing for a large selection of beers on tap with burgers and wood-fired pizza. Continue the pub crawl and head down the way to Bull Falls Brewery and find a spot in the outdoor beer garden.
- One of the best perks of staying at our Wausau Hotel is our home cooked breakfast. This sets us apart from other lodging options for your weekend getaway in the midwest. Our morning routine starts with fresh, hot coffee and our locally sourced scratch made entrees, including quiches, festive fruit dishes and creative pancake combos.
- We also love to host our evening reception at our hotel which we hold in our common living room area of the mansion. The light-filled room is the perfect space for our nightly wine and cheese selection. Guests often strike up conversations and it’s a lovely way to enjoy an evening on your weekend getaway in the midwest.
Find the Best Luxury Lodging at our Wausau Boutique Hotel
Of course the first thing you’ll notice about the Stewart Inn when you walk up to the front door is the architecture. In fact, it was designed and built by George Maher, who was known as a founder of the American arts & crafts movement along with Frank Lloyd Wright. Every nook and cranny at the Inn has an element of beauty, from geometrical shapes to botanical elements.
This is just one more reason to make our Wausau Hotel your choice for lodging on your weekend getaway in the midwest. This beautiful attention to detail continues into our five guest suites with our consummate midwest hospitality and the modern amenities we offer each guest. We can’t wait to host you this spring and summer at our Wausau Bed and Breakfast. Start planning your weekend getaway in the midwest today!