One of our mottos in Wausau is “big city comfort, small town hospitality,” and that’s precisely what you’ll experience at local Wausau restaurants. Our location in central Wisconsin is a melting pot of cultures and personalities, which brings a subset of culinary talent showcasing local ingredients in creative ways. You’ll find farm-to-table dining, casual midwest cuisine, upscale supper clubs, and cozy cafes—there’s something for everyone at these Wausau restaurants.
First, you’ll want to secure your lodging in Wausau for your culinary adventure, and the Stewart Inn is the premiere Wisconsin Bed and Breakfast for your next getaway. Our morning meal is the most important amenity to note for those interested in local dining. Our decadent, scratch-made breakfast is multi-coursed with locally sourced ingredients and tried and true recipes. Paired with the best cup of coffee in all of Wausau, mornings here are a real treat!
Dine out at these Fantastic Wausau Restaurants
Enjoying meals with the people you love is one of the best parts of vacation, and these restaurants in Wausau will not disappoint. Whether you’re looking for soul-warming comfort food, elegant coursed seafood feasts, decadent Italian favorites, or festive plates of Mexcian classics, you’ll find it here.
Here are our top 14 Wausau restaurants not to miss:
- Ciao: Serving contemporary Italian and New American fare, this is the place to come for oysters on the half shell, house-made pasta, and meaty mains.
- Back When Cafe: Located in the historic downtown district, this farm-to-table restaurant showcases local ingredients in their creative New-American dishes.
- Lemongrass: This hip Asian-fusion restaurant and bar serves up pho in flavorful broths, international noodle dishes, and hot- off-the-wok entrees making for an ideal date night spot.
- Osso Buco: A blend of Italian and Mediterranean cuisine, you’ll find beautiful and thoughtfully prepared dishes to be savored in their intimate dining room with exposed brick walls, dim lighting, and white tablecloths.
- Van Acre: For a private and romantic dinner, book a high-walled round booth at this contemporary restaurant in Wausau for brick oven pizzas and other rustic fare.
- Pinewood Supper Club: Located on the shores of the picturesque Half Moon Lake, this choice of Wausau restaurants is a supper club not to miss. Seafood entrees and steak dinners are a must while gazing out over the water.
- Red Eye Brewing: For artisanal wood-fired pizzas, small batch craft ciders, and an easy-breezy atmosphere, head to this Wisconsin brewery just a few blocks from the Stewart Inn.
- Tine and Cellar: Bringing a new twist to old-world classics, the menu at this Wausau gastropub offers shareable plates like Wisconsin cheese curds and truffle fries to elegant Atlantic salmon and rich center-cut pork chops.
- Wish Steakhouse: As a traditional new world steakhouse, you’ll find the finest cuts of Midwest meat dry-aged and prepared with care. Don’t miss the impressive selection of whiskey as well!
- La Taqueria: This charming, family-owned Mexican joint offers some of the best homemade tortilla chips, guacamole, and authentic street tacos around town.
- Masa’s Japanese Cuisine: If you’re craving sushi during your stay, Masa offers a great selection of creative rolls, sashimi, tempura, and bento boxes.
- Hiawatha: Head to this restaurant and bar on Fridays for a fish-fry night with chowders, perfectly crisp beer-battered fish, and craft cocktails.
Wausau Restaurants Worth the Drive:
- Muse at Sentry: You’ll experience a unique fine dining experience in an art gallery setting at this restaurant at Sentry World, a premier Wisconsin golf course. The seasonal menu offers hand-rolled pasta, grade A steaks, and beautiful desserts.
- PJ’s at Sentry World: Also located at one of the best golf courses in Wisconsin, they offer lunch, dinner, happy hour, and fish-fry Friday for a lovely meal worth the drive from downtown Wausau—especially after a round of golf!
As a guest at our Wisconsin Bed and Breakfast, allow us to make reservations for you at these amazing Wausau restaurants.
The Most Elegant Lodging in Wausau, Wisconsin
After an indulgent meal at one of these Wausau restaurants, the comfortable accommodations at the Stewart Inn will be awaiting your return. Curl up on one of our classic leather couches by a roaring fire in our shared living room space for a nightcap. Or head straight to your guest suite for a soak in a claw foot bath or a steam shower, slip into your robe, and find your favorite show on Apple TV. You’ll experience a restful night’s sleep in our deluxe King or Queen-size beds and wake ready for the next day’s adventure.
Book your next getaway to Wausau and reserve your room at our Wisconsin Bed and Breakfast today!