Brewing beer has been a tradition in our state dating back to the 1830s, and these breweries in Wisconsin continue with the age-old process, creating hoppy IPAs, refreshing lagers, and malty dark ales. After Prohibition in the area, large-scale brewing production took Wisconsin by storm. While we can appreciate these industrial breweries for their approachable product, the locally-owned craft breweries are creating some of the best ales around.
Downtown Wausau is home to some of the best breweries in Wisconsin. These local brewmasters are dedicated to their craft and love sharing their passion for delicious beer with the masses. Red Eye Brewing is one of our top picks! Not only are they serving some lovely beers, but they also offer wonderful, hearty food options with farm-fresh ingredients and decadent combinations. Additionally, these brewpubs have a lively atmosphere, some with bar games, great outdoor patio space, and cozy indoor seating.
Whether you’re staying with us at Stewart Inn, the premiere Wausau Bed and Breakfast, or booking our new Owl Ridge Cabin, you’ll be in the ideal location for exploring these breweries in Wisconsin. Both lodging accommodations offer a luxurious stay: our B&B is a more hosted experience with a tasty breakfast service each morning, and our cabin is a quiet, private retreat in the woods with a full kitchen and elegant spa bath.
The Best Breweries in Wisconsin this Summer
If you’re in the mood for a fresh hoppy beer this summer, you’ll find it at these breweries in Wisconsin, in and just outside of Wausau. As a guest at Stewart Inn, you’ll be walking distance to a handful of these locations, and a stroll through this historic neighborhood is as pleasant as they come.
Here are five breweries in Wisconsin to check out during your time in Wausau:
- Red Eye Brewing: It’s all about the combination of artisan food and craft brews that make this one of the best breweries in Wisconsin. Within about five minutes on foot from our Inn, you’ll find a great place to relax with a pint, beer taster flights, wood-fired pizzas, hearty burgers, and fresh salads.
- Bull Falls Brewery: Known as Wausau’s oldest operating craft brewery, you’ll find European-leaning traditional styles here with German lagers and ales. The brewery tour is an excellent way to get an up-close look at the operation and taste some exciting beers. Keep an eye on the Bull Falls Facebook page for upcoming events and live music.
- Great Dane Pub & Brew Company: The Wausau location of this small, local chain brewpub is cozy and inviting. Come for the fresh brewed IPAs and double bock on draft and Wisconsin cheese curds; stay for the spacious patio, often boasting live music and entertainment.
- Whitewater Music Hall & Brewpub: Perhaps one of Wausau’s best-kept secrets, this music venue, brewpub, and coffeehouse is an excellent stop to add to your itinerary. The tap list is creative and extensive, hot dogs come dressed with unique toppings, and there’s a busy events calendar with live music and art exhibits.
- Mosinee Brewing Company: This sleek and newly remodeled taproom in the small town of Mosinee is well worth the 20-minute drive from our Inn. From stouts to sours and pales to lagers, you’ll find it all on draft and available for tasting flights. While they don’t offer a food menu in-house, they encourage guests to bring outside food from nearby local restaurants.
Newest Cabin in Wisconsin for a Romantic Getaway
This winter, on December 15th, the Owl Ridge Cabin will be hosting its first guests! This brand new, state-of-the-art 1100-square-foot secluded cabin will be a sibling property to the Stewart Inn. You’ll experience the same level of luxurious touches but on a private wooded spot about 10 minutes from downtown Wausau. Take in the most beautiful, lush views while enjoying an elegant bathroom, an excellent and fully stocked kitchen, and stunning decor choices. This will be the ideal choice of cabins in Wisconsin for an intimate and romantic getaway! Will you be one of the first guests to grace this fantastic property?