The Leigh Yawkey Woodson Art Museum is one of the biggest draws to downtown Wausau. It’s best known for its Birds in Art exhibit, including indoor and outdoor sculptures, avian artworks, and carvings. It’s no surprise that Leigh Yawkey Woodson Art Museum is the number one activity to do in Wausau on TripAdvisor, with more than 250 five-star reviews from past visitors.
The Leigh Yawkey Woodson Art Museum is one of two museums to receive the coveted National Medal, the highest honor given for significant contributions to the arts and the local community. The main goal of this museum is to make seeing these collections accessible to all and enhance lives through art. We can definitely attest that visiting the Leigh Yawkey Woodson Art Museum will add a lovely element to your getaway to Wausau.
First, you’ll want to get your lodging accommodations sorted out. The Stewart Inn, Wausau’s premier Bed and Breakfast, is the perfect hosted stay to make your vacation memorable. We can offer a list of complimentary amenities that you won’t find at standard hotels in the area. For example, you’ll be treated to an ample breakfast each morning in our elegant dining room and an evening wine social for lively conversations and treats.
Explore the Exhibits at Leigh Yawkey Woodson Art Museum
As a guest at our Wausau Bed and Breakfast, you’ll only be about a 15-minute walk from the museum and arts district of downtown Wausau. Plan on lunch before or dinner after at one of the fantastic Wausau restaurants, all within walking distance too.
Here are the top four things not to miss at the Leigh Yawkey Woodson Art Museum:
- Birds in Art is an annual exhibition that creates a way for new and upcoming artists to submit their avian-themed works in any medium for display. The yearly tradition started in 1976, making this next round the 47th installment of the Birds in Art showcase in the Fall (September 10th-November 27th).
- Throughout the property and museum, you’ll notice many permanent bird sculptures and works as well. In fact, there are more than 14,000 works of art, including paintings, drawings and field sketches, graphics, photographs, and sculptures that celebrate the spirit of all species of birds from across the globe.
- Current exhibitions include a stunning grouping of Art Deco glass from the Huchthausen Collection. You’ll find beautiful geometric shapes and bright colors are the key standouts. This also pairs nicely with another current display, Molten: 30 Years of American Glass, with pieces belonging to the Leigh Yawkey Woodson Art Museum.
- On any visit to this museum, don’t miss the outdoor sculpture garden. You’ll see more birds, of course, and some other large and enchanting pieces. Head up to the rooftop too, where you’ll find eight sculptures and a seating area to take in the beautiful view of Wausau.
- Enjoy the artwork and collectibles at our Wausau Boutique Hotel. We encourage all of our guests to take advantage of the Inn’s nooks and crannies during your stay with us, including quiet spaces to read or reflect. The design of our 1906 Prairie-style mansion creates a unique ambiance for relaxation. You’ll notice exciting artifacts from our travels and historical pieces related to the house.
A New Wisconsin Cabin for Romantic Getaways
While a stay at our Wausau Bed and Breakfast is always elegant and private, if you’re truly seeking a secluded getaway, you’ll want to make a reservation for our brand new Owl Ridge Cabin property. Just the right size for two, this beautifully designed and decorated cabin in Wisconsin has everything you need for a luxury vacation in the woods. Even better, you’re still only about 10 minutes from all the activities and restaurants in downtown Wausau.
Check out our availability calendar to reserve the Owl Ridge Cabin (available starting in the Fall) or a more traditional Bed and Breakfast stay at the Stewart Inn. Get your next getaway to Wausau on the books today!